Vedr. Re: The Man who would be an initiate.

From: sverre larne <sverrelarne_at_Yh30OkXvsQwy61JGAh-ojbbHzIT-5LwEjA_12pJabI7s9UDsyVe3izXOfd0_ldee>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 21:52:26 +0200 (CEST)

Scuse me, but Hero Wars / HeroQuest stinks. It might be what Greg thinks models his world best, but so what? I don't play roleplaying games to model Greg, I do it to have fun. RQ is without doubt the superior RPG. I like Glorantha (that is, the old Glorantha), but seriously, the world setting is secondary.

  SGL.        Jeff Richard <richaje_at_qpPRQOxwZOvXZA8s7yJe2IVsCRTYzygXe0dmtNW1Sz3EEB75Tp9OGQak9MCrXIrEgfYnc9nLukM.yahoo.invalid> skrev:

          > In short, rules do matter. You picked #2, whether you like to admit it
> or not. The rules are an important source of information about your
> Glorantha, such as how its magic, and when the sources are silent or
> conflicting about the physics, magic or society of that world, the
> rules fill the gaps.

They do matter, but largely as a negative. Bad rules systems (like RQ or MRQ) result in the rules that actually interfer with your attempts to model in Glorantha. Good rules systems, like HQ or PDP, largely stay out of the way. The rules usually give me very little information about Glorantha, but do give me a platform to work with.

Jeff

GBC's Portal to Glorantha - http://www.runequest-glorantha.com   GBC's RuneQuest Links & Glorantha Links - http://www.runequest.info