Re: Terror in war

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_nCwaguxIIuo2bxnwTr5FBSv-Uz1XBdGBg0rmNsCxlCyXb6o-6BCZLjR01xnMEFL22NSf>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:10:03 -0000

> In fact its interesting that none of these factoids make it into the
> Sartar Rising books. But then who would buy a game where you get to
> play Nazis?

Nazis? Both of these incidents were taken out of Thucydites' "History of the Peloponnesian War" and were perpetrated by the Athenians. In 413, the Athenians and their Thracian mercenaries captured the Boetian city of Mycalessus without seige or assault and:

"They butchered the inhabitants, sparing neither youth nor age but killing all they fell in with, one after the other, children and women, and even the beasts of burden, and whatever other living creatures they saw; the Thracian people, like bloodiest of the barbarians, being ever most murderous when it has nothing to fear. Everywhere confusion reigned and death in all its shapes; in particular they attacked a boys' school, the largest that there was in the place, into which the children had just gone, and massacred them all." Thucydites 7,26,4-5.

A similar slaughter occured at Corcyra. I'm sure we could find similar incidents in other ancient wars - especially wars with a strong tribal angle like the Sartarite Rebellion.

Finally such massacres are perfectly legal for Orlanthi and fit well within the system of clan based vendetta. If the Lunar Empire cannot protect the women and children that embrace the Seven Mothers, then few Orlanthi will seek their protection.

Jeff