Re: Terror in war

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_a6GQomvHsTiq8xFzJoi0hlsTvkimKU1dWgKQHLuGaF3Jhlt_5HcXXgXwuCWMvCUYu4zz>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:47:32 -0000

> It makes Sartarite v Lunar like Sunni v Shia - both fundemetally
> evil, barbaric culture/religions who most normal people wouldn't give
> a fig about who won.

Or Sparta versus Athens? The Greeks versus the Persians? The Romans [versus take your pick]? The Scots versus the English?

I would not say that the Athenians were evil, barbaric folk, even though they committed acts of barbarism in war. I would not say the Sartarites were evil, even though they committed acts of barbarism in fighting against the Lunar Occupation.

Nor would I say that the Lunars are evil, even though they committed great acts of barbarism and evil in Dragon Pass. Both peoples possess virtues and vices, acts of nobility and acts of cruelty.

> Not exactly the freedom fighting idealistic heroism or Argrath from
> RQ2 is it? Luke Skywalker the child molester. Star Wars would not
> have been much of a hit would it?

I've never accused Kallyr of being a child molester. But she is a ruthless and obsessed guerilla warleader who fights a brutal and often dirty war against the Lunar Empire in order to free her people. And "300" was a pretty big hit (not as big as Star Wars, but it made damn good money) and in the movie, King Leonidas clearly starts the war brutally and illegally by murdering the diplomats that came to Sparta.

Jeff