Re: Terror in war

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_e8g8yUbyzJw_T0xeOCJkau3XK41O2tSG9fJJAJqpx9VATKbX9Qubc_I3uDv6y>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:57:46 -0000

You are missing the point Phil. The difference between Islamic militants and the west is that we stopped killing people on religious grounds after the enlightenment. So the comment about that passage in the Bible is moot I suggest.

What I find interesting is that Jeff likes his hero's to have the capacity to say, stead burn, and achieve heroic things (like beat off the crimson bat).

And there are folk like me that don't like their hero's to do such things. I mean, crimes of passion followed by remorse and stuff is ok but otherwise, in a heroic fantasy setting I just find unappealing.

I think I feel that way about my Glorantha because its fiction, and I am aware of the hand behind the fiction, where as history is, well history. Events that have happened. I don't read horror stuff for pleasure because I don't like the thought that someone sits there and thinks that shit up. I did like Lovecraft though, how fucked up was he?

I think the nub of it is I am not interested in such a (IMO) heavy, depressing and oppressive reading of Glorantha, where as Jeff delights in it. Each to their own - YGWV and all that. :^)

Regards
Rob