Re: Terror in war

From: David Cake <dave_at_x1ybJ-pcsCb2Am0l0MpnkNbcAYmOkBcvoLIZaiWH3WMLAsEV24C19NtEWzLq6N91_Df2yZP>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 03:25:26 +0800

At 12:57 PM +0000 23/8/07, Rob wrote:
>I think I feel that way about my Glorantha because its fiction, and I
>am aware of the hand behind the fiction, where as history is, well
>history. Events that have happened. I don't read horror stuff for
>pleasure because I don't like the thought that someone sits there and
>thinks that shit up. I did like Lovecraft though, how fucked up was
>he?
>
>I think the nub of it is I am not interested in such a (IMO) heavy,
>depressing and oppressive reading of Glorantha, where as Jeff
>delights in it. Each to their own - YGWV and all that. :^)

        I think if you want a game world free of moral ambiguity, Glorantha just isn't the best choice.

        Gloranthan history and myth has Arkat, Snodal, The Red Goddess and the Bat, Zorak Zorani, etc.

        You can argue that you don't think that Kallyr was that ruthless in pursuit of her goals. Or that you resent Jeff taking that particular character and suddenly changing her historic representation (because I'm sure we are all looking forward to that debate again).

        But you can't argue that Glorantha hasn't had lots of characters this ruthless all along.

        Hey, if you want a game world free of moral ambiguity, there are plenty of game worlds that cater that that a LOT better. Most D&D settings, for example.

	Cheers
		David