Re: Terror in war

From: David Cake <dave_at_cZT9cOemkOvlDZS6QN-Mp3AyXuFysxai-wL7RlNbd4t1wGYHqUmKZWZMczhLP6fK7E5RVpE>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 03:03:16 +0800

At 2:47 PM +0000 22/8/07, Jeff Richard wrote:
> And
>"300" was a pretty big hit (not as big as Star Wars, but it made damn
>good money) and in the movie, King Leonidas clearly starts the war
>brutally and illegally by murdering the diplomats that came to Sparta.
	Historically, of course, it was completely different.
	He brutally and illegally murdered the diplomats with less
shouting, and more laconic humour, as befits a true Spartan.
	IIRC the diplomats asked for a symbolic tribute of earth and
water, and he threw them down a well and told them they'd got what they asked for.

At 3:17 PM +0000 22/8/07, Jeff Richard wrote:
>"Right bastards" isn't how I would describe the Spartans.

        Sure they were. Just ask a helot.

	Cheers
		David