Re: Terror in war

From: Alison Place <alison_place_at_xVsi6BcpWvBYnfwgfi_Gh59m9ZO2C8wk6le3BUlKAd4gcdJ53nZJMcaKS2LEYwY>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 13:02:17 -0700 (PDT)

     Actually, this thread might well do better on WoG, minus all the insults, of course. Anyone have any interest in sending it over there, as it seems to refer to an upcoming publication, and is thus of general relevance?

     Ian and I do have a very serious doubt as to the tenability of your central claim, Jeff. That there are vigilante groups of Vingans, Orlanthi and others taking aim at Lunars and pro-Lunar Sartari (or refugees receiving Lunar aid), I shan't dispute. That some of them are connected in various ways to Kallyr is probabIe to virtually certain.

     I do deny that Kallyr herself could personally participate in these activities, except secretly or possibly very early in her career as a resister, for two main reasons. She has ambitions to become Queen of Sartar from very early on. She has the intelligence to realise that being connected to acts such as you describe would make it almost impossible to gain acceptance as a future queen. Too many people of too many tribes would want vengeance against her personally.

     As we know, she did later become accepted as Queen of Sartar. Quite apart from John's mention of the inevitable kinstrife that would prevent this, we cannot think of anyone in history who performed terrorist acts on their own people, and then was accepted as a national leader. It's always more moderate resistance fighters who get that role. The idealistic, extremist,
kill-them-all-God-will-know-his-own types, who commit the really ugly atrocities, are always sidelined in the eventual peacemaking and government rebuilding. People just don't accept them as peacetime leaders or nation builders/rebuilders.

     I regard Jeff's ideas as great opportunities for scenarios. PCs who have to cover up a potential link to Kallyr, or believe that they are acting on her behalf (but may or may not be), should add a lovely degree of ambiguity to the Lunar occupation of Sartar.  It's also a great way to continue a feud with another clan or tribe, and whitewash it as just getting rid of Lunar symps. All good stuff to hit PCs with.

     Pro forma insult follows. All those who disagree with my manifestly reasonable opinions is a twit who should stick with brightly coloured building blocks as their intellectual stimuli.

Yours,
Alison

Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase. http://farechase.yahoo.com/