Re: Terror in war

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_Ot0-dPDjRqQ_3jCqAKmwx39jQyla6RxtRv8ufaQ2JnnERo4plz5TInIhoU_HPt7Q9pom>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 07:52:05 -0000

> Ian and I do have a very serious doubt as to the
> tenability of your central claim, Jeff. That there
> are vigilante groups of Vingans, Orlanthi and others
> taking aim at Lunars and pro-Lunar Sartari (or
> refugees receiving Lunar aid), I shan't dispute. That
> some of them are connected in various ways to Kallyr
> is probabIe to virtually certain.

OK, no problem here.

> I do deny that Kallyr herself could personally
> participate in these activities, except secretly or
> possibly very early in her career as a resister, for
> two main reasons. She has ambitions to become Queen
> of Sartar from very early on. She has the
> intelligence to realise that being connected to acts
> such as you describe would make it almost impossible
> to gain acceptance as a future queen. Too many people
> of too many tribes would want vengeance against her
> personally.

With all due respect, why? Killing Lunar colonists and settlers would hardly get her in trouble. And during the Fimbulwinter, I suspect massacres were widespread on all sides. Heck, the Fimbulwinter was to some extent an attempt to utterly eliminate all traditionalist Orlanthi. Her actions then were desperate acts of survival.

What made Kallyr Prince of Sartar was the Dragonraising. After that deed (and the death of King Broyan), Kallyr had no significant rivals who were willing to challenge her claims to primacy. She went to Boldhome and lit the Flame.

> As we know, she did later become accepted as
> Queen of Sartar. Quite apart from John's mention of
> the inevitable kinstrife that would prevent this, we
> cannot think of anyone in history who performed
> terrorist acts on their own people, and then was
> accepted as a national leader. It's always more
> moderate resistance fighters who get that role. The
> idealistic, extremist,
> kill-them-all-God-will-know-his-own types, who commit
> the really ugly atrocities, are always sidelined in
> the eventual peacemaking and government rebuilding.
> People just don't accept them as peacetime leaders or
> nation builders/rebuilders.

Like Octavian Caesar? Like Philip or Alexander? Like Yassar Arafat?  Like many of the anti-colonial fighters who later became President (for life)?

Jeff

Jeff