Re: Terror in war

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_6BssUQQVZo7dVWa6X8JLuNtByivojFhW2R-owgNupehadMo5_1BBS4istHwG9>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 10:49:56 -0000

You are probably quite right Jeff, in the real world. But Kallyr for many is the (a?) central protaganist in Greg Staffords Heroic fiction for Dragon Pass. And for the unpleasentness you ascribe to Kallyr I for example use Gyffur Ulfsson. In my interperatation he is probably much closer to Kallyr than she is comfortable with but in my Glorantha she tries to mitigate some of his worst excesses while using his (and his warbands) unremitting capacity for murder, rape and carnage for 'The Greater Good'. BUt otherwise I am rather in tune with Alison on this one.

There are a number of characters in the Sartar Rising storyline. Are you not in danger of making Sartar one dimensional by all the resistance leaders having the same theme?

> What made Kallyr Prince of Sartar was the Dragonraising. After that
> deed (and the death of King Broyan), Kallyr had no significant
rivals
> who were willing to challenge her claims to primacy. She went to
> Boldhome and lit the Flame.

I don't actually think that is true. I like to think that there were a number of mighty warlords jockeying for position. The many Argraths, and Kallyr was the first. For example, Garrath Swordsharp was probably instrumental in the dealings with Harrek. Harrek was not Kallyrs friend.

Regards
Rob