Re: Terror in war

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_BMsDc0zAAeYkiWzW-xxX1YT0VX51n_a73Z6IL0LcSzuvpbCECGZTUQR8E3LxA7tR6xsZ>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:58:20 -0000

> You are probably quite right Jeff, in the real world. But Kallyr for
> many is the (a?) central protaganist in Greg Staffords Heroic fiction
> for Dragon Pass. And for the unpleasentness you ascribe to Kallyr I
> for example use Gyffur Ulfsson. In my interperatation he is probably
> much closer to Kallyr than she is comfortable with but in my
> Glorantha she tries to mitigate some of his worst excesses while
> using his (and his warbands) unremitting capacity for murder, rape
> and carnage for 'The Greater Good'. BUt otherwise I am rather in
> tune with Alison on this one.

Odds are Kallyr herself does not kill prisoners, Lunar captives, or civilians personally, but I would be extremely surprised if she has not been present when her own followers did the deed.

And I suspect Kallyr's biggest concern with Gyffur is not his tactics per se, but the extend he is willing to go with them. Gyffur is likely willing to kill neutrals and not just Lunar supporters.

> There are a number of characters in the Sartar Rising storyline. Are
> you not in danger of making Sartar one dimensional by all the
> resistance leaders having the same theme?

Resistance leaders is such a horribly Reuters-style term. Call Kallyr what she is - an ambitious tribal warlord whose deeds are blessed by the gods and goddesses of her tribe and who seeks to forcibly eliminate the foreign conquerers of her land and their sympathizers and supporters. Orlanthi history is filled with such figures. To their friends and supporters, they are noble heroes. To their enemies, they are vicious murderers.

> I don't actually think that is true. I like to think that there were
> a number of mighty warlords jockeying for position. The many
> Argraths, and Kallyr was the first. For example, Garrath Swordsharp
> was probably instrumental in the dealings with Harrek. Harrek was not
> Kallyrs friend.

By Dragonrise, Kallyr held all the cards - at least for long enough to light the Flame. The true Argrath (whoever that was) is playing for stakes much much much higher than Kallyr. Actually, so for that matter was King Broyan. Kallyr becomes the first free King of Sartar after the Disaster Year. She does not become the overall leader of the Heortlings (of which Broyan had a better a claim).

Jeff