Re: Terror in war

From: oswaldtrimling <oswaldtrimling_at_1QVogN0VB1cQRlHNQIEvE2Nyy2xJ96PQXwSVEMZYN0CdETbb5wSEPsCQs0grO>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 11:18:48 -0000

Jeff Richard:

> > But that's the question - would she have been favoured by Orlanth and
> > Sartar if she had done these things? IMG, certainly not, although,
> > admittedly, that says little about other people's Gloranthas.
>
> If she had killed non-combatants or ordered their deaths? Orlanth
> doesn't care - as long as his laws aren't broken

Once again, this misses the point. If this sort of thing is so, it ruins the game for me, and prevents it being enjoyable. I don't *care* whether its realistic, or plausible, or whatever. That's why I'm looking for alternatives that make sense.

> > But here's a question for you Jeff, if you're reading this - if Kallyr
> > couldn't fill that role in your campaign, who could?
>
> In my last campaign, Kallyr began as a very distrusted figure.

So 'nobody', is your answer, yes? Not a game I'd want to play in, but it's a fair answer.

Perhaps, though, I should rephrase the question. Since I need at least one character like this in my campaign (i.e a major rebel leader who does not participate in atrocities), if it's not plausible for it to be Kallyr, who *could* it be?

> This isn't making Kallyr out to be a villain,

Oh, I disagree - it may not be your intent, but it's absolutely the effect, from my personal perspective. At the best, its making her out to be an anti-hero, who the player heroes should be opposing. I'd hate to play in any game where player heroes have the attitude 'well, I don't like it, but it has to be done', towards this sort of thing. IMO, being heroes is all about not accepting that kind of thinking.

> She
> is not a peacemaker, a justicebringer or a demogogue.

So who is? Whoever they are, they're going to be pretty essential to my campaign! :)