Re: The Exiles List

From: julianlord <julian.lord_at_i5J3igUxDc4-6Ma4C64c6rLzoc9btsUsCSoC8cgLInE4dCLRA4DV7E-1qJyt8CY7>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:42:28 -0000

John Hughes :

> At 11:43 AM 24/08/2007, Andrew wrote:
>
> >Being one of the waverers, I feel the need to ask: What' the
Exiles list?

> At the moment, its just a scattered collection of folk writing
emails
> to each other, folk who find themselves opening their Gloranthan
> in-trays of late with a continual sense of horror and trepidation.
> Its about bringing back the fun to a game and a community that many
> of us love with a fierce passion. Given some of the posts I've I've
> received recently about the general morale of the lists, and the
> number of people thinking about jumping ship entirely, it may yet
> become a formal, private Yahoo list. Exiles cherishes some
heretical
> notions: that we are creatively involved in rpg for for each other,
> that we read and write to the lists for pleasure - our own and our
> friends - and that RPG involves listening and encouraging
creativity
> and diversity. To quote the explanatory statement:
>
> Exiles is a private discussion group for creative friends, centred
on
> our favourite roleplaying games.
>
> Exiles is based on several ideas:
>
> * That RPG discussion should be fun: that our hobby is for pleasure.
>
> * That games and settings can be developed through cooperation,
> without wholesale and arbitrary reinvention of established bases.
>
> * That our favourite RPGs should be progressive and open, with
design
> inclusive of men, women and munchkin.
>
> * That roleplaying's base ideologies are fit for discussion and
> meaningful criticism with an end to improving our gaming pleasure
and
> creativity.
>
> * That we write for each other, with wit, humour and courtesy (or
at
> least wit and humour :).
>

> On another matter entirely, it strikes me that we also need a list
> for longer pieces, you know essays and tirades that provide cut and
> paste wikipedia histories and treat readers as ignorant morons. A
> list that can gather such pieces and their responses together in
one
> place, freeing up THIS list for what it was intended to do: rave on
> with humour and insult about absolutely nothing, meaning ducks,
> yurts, and das Boot.
>
> A place for posts that belong neither here, on the main lists, or
on
> alt.fanboy.adept.
>
> You know, a list like the Digest. :)
>
> DimJim

All of the above can be done here --- with a single proviso :

THIS is the HOME of Gloranthan Flame Warriors, Lozenge- and Globe- wide, and I will NOT turn them out, EVER. No matter WHO gets offended, nor by whom, nor why (SPAM and straightforward porno and a couple of other possible non-Gloranthan and non-Glorantha-Tribe exceptions notwithstanding).

I do understand that, Exiles-wise, GD-type postings here are quite eminently a pis aller, but if no other _realistic_ solution presents itself to wrest the serious discussion back out of the quadrumanous fingers of the fawning beer'n'pretzels monkey boys, the pis aller will ALWAYS be there for you, should you guys wish.

De Immod