Re: Terror in war

From: Alison Place <alison_place_at_W33vDMqr3Cnne6zvIhbT69kX-adqmiiaGzQ4xr9tbY6ifOOWgq48NeERMA1LlpH>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:44:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Jeff

     Went back to the original post, and realised that I'd never asked you what the source is for the deathlist. Don't seem to have Barbarian Adventures
(though it could just be well buried), and can't find
enough about Kallyr (including much about Starbrow's Rebellion, other than the date, 1613?) in King of Sartar, Storm Tribe or Thunder Rebels.

     Another question. What info is there on the lives of Kallyr's parents? You mention that they die, killed by Lunars, but I'm not sure when that happens. Though I'm not certain of the dating, I had thought from prior discussions about Kallyr (Secret History of Sun County stuff, etc) that Kallyr had initiated to Vinga before any of the major tragedies in her life. This is the basis of my feeling that K was initially much more headed towards the Protector than the Red Avenger aspect of Vinga. Could you, or anyone else, give me a timeline?

     Thinking again about the Fimbulwinter, I'm very tempted to rule that Vingan connections remain active even during the severances experienced by Orlanth and Ernalda. There may be little reason for this optimism, but I have assumed that the Lunars were trying to kill Orlanth and Ernalda by forcing a re-enactment of the Greater Darkness.

     These parallels don't apply to Vinga, Barntar, or many of the other members of Orlanth's Stead. I would then, by extension, reason that those who could still reach their gods would not be so likely to be thrown into utter despair by their absence. Those who rule that Babeester Gor, Vinga, Barntar, Voria, Voriof and various others draw all their powers from their parents may disagree, of course. Mind you, if we get to that point in our campaign, we'll be running a modified Fimbulwinter.

     One of the more interesting ideas that we've come up with is that many Sartari and Heortlings may believe that Orlanth and Ernalda have gone away from them due to the terrible kinstrife that the war has provoked. Hell, even many of the Lunars may honestly believe that. It's a great rumour, anyway. And why couldn't it be true?

     Thanks for the discussion so far, by the way. I've had a lot of fun discussing stuff with Ian that's come off the lists, and there's a couple of extra things that I'll probably drop in the pot when I've got them phrased decently.

Alison

Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games. http://sims.yahoo.com/