Re: Terror in war

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_HQz5avdHDhTHU3_MewfQcl-tgmAFHMNnl_5L3bAsp2h4DT9kvd0NM6VYTJABmJ5FQQNa>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 06:19:27 -0000

> Went back to the original post, and realised that
> I'd never asked you what the source is for the
> deathlist. Don't seem to have Barbarian Adventures
> (though it could just be well buried), and can't find
> enough about Kallyr (including much about Starbrow's
> Rebellion, other than the date, 1613?) in King of
> Sartar, Storm Tribe or Thunder Rebels.

My source is the Orlmarthingsaga (hopefully in print at the next Tentacles) and the Immolation Song of the Jaldonkillers - in short, my own feverish imagination.

> Another question. What info is there on the
> lives of Kallyr's parents? You mention that they die,
> killed by Lunars, but I'm not sure when that happens.

Kallyr's entire paternal bloodline is destroyed - the House of Sartar.  Kallyr's father was a grandson of Prince Jarolar. Either they died before 1602, fighting the Lunars in 1602, or were killed by the Lunars soon after the Fall of Boldhome. But most were killed by the Lunars in 1602 or soon after.

> Though I'm not certain of the dating, I had thought
> from prior discussions about Kallyr (Secret History of
> Sun County stuff, etc) that Kallyr had initiated to
> Vinga before any of the major tragedies in her life.

Honestly, with all due respect to Jane, the Secret History of Sun County isn't much of an influence on my conception of Kallyr. Instead, the timeline for Kallyr is in OiD, pg 10-11. Personally, I strongly doubt that Kallyr has ever been to Pavis or Sun County.

According to OiD, Kallyr initiates to Vanganth through the Vinga rites in 1602. Next season, she fights in the Battle of Boldhome.

> These parallels don't apply to Vinga, Barntar, or
> many of the other members of Orlanth's Stead. I would
> then, by extension, reason that those who could still
> reach their gods would not be so likely to be thrown
> into utter despair by their absence. Those who rule
> that Babeester Gor, Vinga, Barntar, Voria, Voriof and
> various others draw all their powers from their
> parents may disagree, of course. Mind you, if we get
> to that point in our campaign, we'll be running a
> modified Fimbulwinter.

I'm pretty sure Vinga loses her power during the Fimbulwinter - at least those that are simply Orlanth cults worshiped using the Vinga rites. Kallyr is an initiate of Dar and Rigsdal during the Fimbulwinter and she keeps her Rigsdal magic.

> One of the more interesting ideas that we've come
> up with is that many Sartari and Heortlings may
> believe that Orlanth and Ernalda have gone away from
> them due to the terrible kinstrife that the war has
> provoked. Hell, even many of the Lunars may honestly
> believe that. It's a great rumour, anyway. And why
> couldn't it be true?

Certainly might be. Or maybe the kinstrife is what made them weak enough to be killed by the Lunars.

Jeff