Re: What's Happening on the Lists?

From: jorganos <joe_at_F5m80RZvO_xFkh_L0jJfba73fpj14FwiVbIQdbVILhXrHgu4L2JFm80HT0jiKuAMvTT33h7X>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 10:34:33 -0000

Me:
>> While I regard myself as discouraged from posting anything on the
>> "newbie-friendly" list, I miss the old tossing of ideas that made
>> up much of what I liked on the Digest.

Jeff R.:
> As far as I am concerned ANYTHING GLORANTHAN is game on the WoG
> list. Period. It is not a newbie-only list.

You don't see me shying away from that list. (Unlike a too large number of Digest veterans...)

>> Attempting to be
>> definitive and authoritative, between highly useful and restricting
>> the creative process which made Glorantha a wide-spread community.

> I'm just posting snippets from stuff Greg and I have been
> working on. And indicating it as such.

Some people may misread that as an imprimatur.

> BTW, anytime anyone writes anything it can "restrict the creative
> process".

At least when it goes unchallenged.

> The issue seems to be whether everything that has been written
> needs to be incorporated into everything that will be written.
> I say no, others say yes.

Personally, I like continuity. Old writings may be contradicted - if it is done with respect and humility, to quote the Arkati maxim of heroquesting.

Contradictions want reasons. I liked the bit about the names of Humakt, stating that using the ancient name of Humakt gives better access to the magic than using the generic name. Still, it has much of "yet another name noone will remember". Seeing it spelled in four different ways in as many occurrances won't help making that name memorable, either... ;P

> What I see as stifling is the insistence that most folk have that
> we must "color within the lines" of what has already been written
> instead of going where our creative vision takes us.

The problem is that in a couple of cases, the rest of the tribe doesn't keep up with those directions, probably lacking the trail which brought you there.

> Don't like what Greg and
> I are writing? Fine, pay no attention to it. We are not exercising
> any editorial veto over what Moon Design publishes. Glorantha is
> broad enough to handle contradictory materials.

Glorantha may be. The creative community that created that tribe gets discouraged by YGWV ("meaning everything I try to contribute is pointless") as much as by One-True-Wayisms.

>> Reading that latest bit on Feldichi, I formulated a couple of
>> theories about their civilization, then realized it does not
>> matter. Apart from a few "technological" artifacts, they are gone,
>> forgotten, and twice covered by chaos eating up surviving facts. I
>> could go to lengths imagining what they did where they did it.

> Greg and I have been toying around with them recently. They may
> matter in explaning part of Dorastor's "wrongness" - even before the
> Arkat curse.

Even more so if they were not an unknown, but have been there "in plain sight".

Why do you call it "wrongness" and not "otherness", btw?

(But that kind of debate belongs on WoG.)

>> I suppose creating a set of Ratite ruins for exploration in North >> Pent would be more worthwhile than placing anything in Dorastor.

> Why?

It might get people to go there and play with it, create feedback which results in a shared world.

I speculated on possible visitors - Rinliddi avian revivalists, Ignorance power-mongers or Kralori elements (thwarting Ignorance, or the Lunar Exile group around the former Takenegi) might have an interest and the means to go there. I don't know much about any of these, but speculation might prompt other people to add their insights.

Then again, it might not.

Ah well, who cares?