Re: What's Happening on the Lists?

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_TgefeXXpMcijJKhnMqh8c3cRMG0DQDsV2pHlHbpJ_GbX9mDs_R4HYwZ26GzLU2zkOmx>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 12:18:12 -0000

Jimbruce:
> Immod is reduced to telling (fairly tame) Yelmalio jokes.

Fairly tame? Maybe. Perhaps I should search-and-replace Yelmalian for Ozzy. They'd probably fit just as well.

All the Gloranthan/RQ Digests seem to have died a death.

There's some activity on the BRP Digests and Mongoose Digests, but not an awful lot.

Maybe it's because it's nearly Christmas. Maybe it's because we aren't getting many supplements these days. Maybe people are tired.
Maybe it's because we've written up as much of Glorantha as can be done and anything else is just overload. Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner. (Hang on, no I'm not) Maybe people are just fed up of the "Yes it is! No it isn't. Yes it is." or "I said, you said, I said, you said" exchanges that have plagued the Digests for the past few years.

Personal attacks have a place here but not on other lists.

So, I dunno.

I'll carry on playing RQ/HQ in Glorantha and see what happens.

I might even carry on writing things for the web (I've no interest in writing official supplements, before someone comes in with the "If you can do any better, then why don't you" or the "If you wrote something instead of whinging then it would be better" snide remarks)

But, esoteric Glorantha is getting boring in many ways. Too many things are coming out with no relation to a Glorantha that I recognise. The fad for renmaing deities seems to show no signs of slowing down. We now have thousands of deities that seem to serve no purpose except to confuse things.

HQ seems to be becoming so complex that it's difficult to understand what's happening.

RQ seems to be following HQ in its complexity, thank goodness it's second age and there are no Lunarisms to confuse things even more.

There is a dearth of new supplements, so people are getting bored and moving away.

I'm waiting for the Argrath Saga/Campaign but we haven't a clue how long that will take.

So, there is a general malaise and it's looking very similar to the 1980s/1990s, which is a shame because at the moment there is a lot being produced for RQ, it's just not grabbing people's attention in the same way that it used to.

This is getting too serious. I'd say bollocks to the lot of them, but I'm just too mild-mannered.

See Ya

Simon