Re: Re: What's Happening on the Lists?

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_K2MhTZX9AqN5IFmtC8_a9RX-Ms_qY9KW-YKAgKXxr1l4QQDqRUtKJD2Gro-mz_Q4N4>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 12:31:20 +1100

On 08/12/2007, oswaldtrimling <oswaldtrimling_at_5B63Qw7PpCvDKW3jf70358PtY3QVfOsLeM8NfURksYuId-U6foLGVGq26_YPQqEQfaXKNtabRroHOhnubb1_iIc.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> I think this is a matter of degree, not of black-and-white. There's
> complicated, and there's over-complicated - and there's nowhere you
> can draw the line between the two that will satisfy everyone. Such is
> life.

Given this, is it especially hard for people to ignore the bits they don't like?
E.G. "This crawling on your belly to enter the holy precinct is cool - but who the hell is Enbaklava? I'll keep calling him Humakt thanks very much!"

I don't think this is a really serious problem to be honest, nor is it an impediment to being creative (I find it an incentive personally, E.G. "Well the printed stuff is trash, what am I going to use now?"). This sort of 'problem' with 'canon' seems to be doing the rounds on other lists I am on (the Berklist for Ars Magica) and I am more than a bit fed up with grognards having a sook because their pet theories have not been grandfathered into the current version. In Glorantha these complaints seem even more ridiculous.

By all means ignore the explosion of 'ancient names' if you don't like them! Call every grim god with a sword Humakt if its easier for you. Even if it does mean you are a God-learning kook.

Bugger, now I can't decide if I was serious or just being a trouble-making dickhead...

--
John Machin