Re: What's Happening on the Lists?

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_2a8YEciKzJ0nRXUrOzszqQW4115RApx0lNDqeIEksxftWmzQ-K5VyFbfzkeVYOi2IF2t>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 19:12:35 -0000

> As far as making sure that your own version of events
> becomes the canon, don't you realise that you've come
> perilously close to the real reason behind freeforms?
>
> No, they're not there for you all to enjoy! No,
> they're not for the purposes of filling a whole day
> with outrageous mugging by the thespianically
> challenged!
>
> They're secretly for the wholesale brainwashing of all
> Gloranthans, by first getting the leaders to succumb
> to your stealthy reprogramming. Then they rewrite
> everything to conform to your True Vision of
> Glorantha. After all, after playing that freeform for
> eight hours, of COURSE you will all know that Yelm
> was, and always will be, a True Dragon. Oh, shit, I
> think it worked...

Long ago, when the Seattle Farmers were all in Seattle and running farmer games, I used to write up mini-freeforms so I could get a handle on what some of the kings, chiefs and priests would do in a situation, or to work out the dynamics of the feud. One of these became Orkarl's Bull, another Fall of the House of Malan. Both are filled with "canonical" errors, but might describe the dynamics of the Orlanthi better than most of the "canonical" writings.

FWIW, Neil, Dan and I wrote Between the Dragon and the Deep Blue Sea after Greg and I wrote the Second Age Heortling History for HHP. It also is filled with "canonical" errors, but it also actually describes the dynamics of the EWF better than most "canonical" writings. And so on.

Jeff