[WorldofGlorantha[HeroQuest-RPG]] Re: Travel Narratives in Glorantha

From: Tom <elysia69_at_-z4HI88Rfa22591uY0TDYbV0m0BjRp5QF2ZOTK4s_uT7cK2rONLIlPBg54joQ6ltR2r>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 23:31:43 -0000

Having been filibustered (again) on World of Glorantha I'd like to reply here, if that's alright:
wrote:

> --- In WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <elysia69@> wrote:
>
> > The society I live in is turning into a hellhole, the reason
> > partially to do with the absolute decimation of masculine ceremony,
> > story and roles.
>
> Where is this then?

England 2007, once proud nation now shit-hole of Europe.

> Hell, I'm a red blooded viking male (Finnish version) but any laments
> of lost male machismo are totally lost on me. If traditional (20th
> century traditional) male roles and ceremony are lost, then good
> riddance to them. I live in one of the most egalitarian and feministic
> societies on the planet (Nordic countries in general and Finland in
> the specific)

Yeah great I'm happy for you and that's the main reason that in England we have streets filled with feral children, precisely because we don't have an egalitarian society. I have a friend who went to Denmark to give a lecture on child homelessness in Britain. He was met with utter bewilderment and told: "we don't have child homelessness". Well we do.

>and still the remaining misogynism and male machismo
> angers and sickens me.

Which is exactly the language used to attack Joseph Campbell that male initiation rites are misogynistic. In my post I also mentioned a feminist writer who uses the same post Jungian, Campbellian style interpretation but you ignored that.

What I am talking about is absent, jobless fathers. Parents who behave like children unable to teach their sons when it is right to show anger and when it isn't. This is at least partially to do with an absence of decent jobs, equality, education and rites of passage that teach young boys how to become decent men in touch with themselves and the society they live in.

I'm not talking about "lost male machismo" but a generation of young men who have not lost but have never had pride and self-worth.

> Hell, sign me up for Esrolia if the alternative is any return to even
> more macho attitudes.

Me too (without the testicle flinging).