Re: Glorantha Online & Glorantha Offline

From: David Cake <dave_at_zmA-v4l_aODQLnBWFUB165RM6DB1etznUFJk6fgeEMuv3uUB1YBCBkw2Xjp92g7_MCoD90L>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:12:56 +0900

At 11:32 AM +0000 4/3/09, Stewart Stansfield wrote:
> > So, roll on Mongoose. They, at least, are making an honest
>> simulationist RPG for fans of the greatest of old-school
>> simulationist game worlds.
>
>Oh for an 'honest simulationist RPG' that was something more than a
>self-consciously weighty and detailed combat system that
>contrastingly diminishes most other notions of endeavour and
>existence to 'yeah, yeah, just roll a d100'.

        Yeah, I didn't say I actually played the thing. But Gloratha is the great simulationist setting, and a nice solid old-school simulationist game is likely to keep it happily in print. Good scenarios and support materials can overcome fairly combat focussed rules, just like the great RQ stuff (MOBs work, for example) did for RQ4.

        Mongoose RQ has loads of classic simulationist stuff. Here are a bunch of interesting things. Here are the stories that are going on there, here are things to say and do. Sure, that is often presented as a relatively unsophisticated 'here are some places to go, people to kill when you get there'. But at least it keeps nice Gloranthan background material in print.

	Cheers
		Dave