Re: Glorantha Online & Glorantha Offline

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_CqAJj5o2PFJVHnu8134mUoe0UgKNSeA9Fs0Co4NEO6AvLSrR9hJwRvs3Qmf0Hv92Q6S3U2ez>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:30:24 -0000

> Forgive my ignorance, but what was so mind-altering about these two
> games? The effects of Pendragon I can see, but Ghostbusters, Prince
> Valiant? Rather that simply asserting that these are key texts, tell
> us why. And what did they pick up that hadn't been done before?
>
> >Cool, something we can agree on.

Ghotbusters is the fore-runner of WEG's STAR WARS and the d6 System, and is indeed hugely influential. At Dragonmeet this year there was an open forum with Robin Laws, Ken Hite, John Wick and James Wallis - and they pretty much all agreed that Ghostbusters was a great, and underated game. (Apperently you should avoid the 2nd Edition Ghostbusters International, which was not nearly so good).

Prince Valiant might have been more influential if it were not tied to a 1950's comic book that no one I know ever seems to have heard of. It talked about everyone taking a turn at GMing before (I think) Ars Magica and its "troupe play", (and definitely before Robin Laws "RUNE"), though whether it actually influenced them....