Fwd: drunk driving punishments from around the world

From: Guy Hoyle <guy.hoyle_at_Pk11FI8EausqF_66W7kjMohsQDaz6HYaIc-BpbOAHsrUXWjF6zC2VeBzz04hQYhpEx>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 01:21:04 -0600

Not Glorantha related, but it is about immoderation.

A friend sent this to me and I wanted to do some quick fact-checking with folks from around the world to see if this is true.

Guy (Hoyle)

I got this from a multicultural lesson; the Polish punishment is the most funny (forced to attend political lectures!!!!) But the Malaysian one is awesome too.

In Australia, the names of the drivers are sent to local newspapers and printed under the heading "They're drunk and in jail."

In Poland, drunk drivers are jailed, fined, and forced to attend political lectures.

In Malaysia, the drunk driver is jailed, and if he has a wife, she is in jail too.

In Sweden, drunk drivers receive an automatic jail sentence of one year at hard labor.

In Turkey, drunk drivers are taken 20 miles from town by the police and forced to walk back barefooted under escort.

In Russia, the license is revoked for life.

And in El Salvador, your first offense is your last: execution by firing squad.