Re: What world-building lessons have you learned from Glorantha?

From: Pomeroi <pomeroi_at_LkMKhkL9RxNrNbn-PIbtDGECL6dpWCUYHx9Lh7ogWZGwawAZ-XoaQZeuF-WVv1mAOaKy>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 17:23:15 +0200

Common sense isn't!

(I liked Newt saying "Collaborative World Building isn't.")

In this discussion quite some people pointed out things I mostly agree with, and there was some new insight for me as well. Thank you for that.

My general concern is the de-mystification of Glorantha by all these pseudo-scientific approaches to explain everything. I have bullshit information about Glorantha I never knew, never wanted to know, and most of all, never needed to know about any other fantasy world I ever travelled, and there are quite some!

Some of the books, the forums and discussion lists in the internet are very useful to find things on myths, have some helpful background here and there, ease the work GMs and give enlightenment to some players. But they should be idea factories, no schools or even science laboratories!!

To give some bad examples, here are just a handful of things that have been discussed in width and length, bringing our mind to stop scheming and start calculating instead:
- The correctness of scales of maps. The worst of Greg's original hand
drawn maps are still better than any Gloranthan could hold in his hand, and better than those our medieval ancestors had about their world.
- Exact census data (mind you, in WorldOfGlorantha, they are discussing
population density right now!)
- The angle at which Yelm is seen from different locations of Glorantha
(witty people pointed out, there must be, since G is a lozenge)
- Likewise the phases of the Red Moon must differ as seen from different
locations.

These are just examples to show you. If at all one of these questions WOULD trouble me or my players (and I didn't say it does), I would sit and think for a moment and have the answer for my varying Glorantha.

My tuppence
Pomeroi