Re: What world-building lessons have you learned from Glorantha?

From: Stewart <stu_stansfield_at_Dsx1vdPxrnjcRyt7-GJdG2US6PND1Oq0OywPEPDW_vI8kFL16f8QMKp-p1yCL>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 16:39:05 -0000

Two notes in reply to John.

On pejoratives:
> Second Age Uzbekistan folk dancers can have their fan boy orgasms.
> And possibly write something playable.

Is this the new 'cathartic anthropowanking shamanistic bottom-sniffing'? This is not intented to be sarcastic (as it might appear to those who recognise the phrase), but I do raise a giggle at the cyclicity here.

I'm in the radical opposition, I guess. I've pretty much lost any interest in making information palatable or gameable as a matter of course. Contrary to what some might think, this impetus [to make information more demonstrably game-oriented in format and execution] has been around for a while in Gloranthan publishing. It approaches the 'Tyranny of Fun' paradigm at times, I feel.

So bugger it. I'm all for pointless trivia; bring it on!

You don't want to read an illustrated pamphlet on a topology of Third-Age duck-helmet morphologies? Well, nobody else is writing much. You can't really complain.

I also want to see activity pages. And more monochrome images, so I can colour them in myself. And more cooking recipes. And all that geological stuff from Snakepipe Hollow. (Don't you dare exclude that if you republish it, you numpties!)

> 5. If you inherit a world-wide network of co-creators who co-
> operate in world-building, writing myths and stories and running
> discussion lists and support websites, nurture it. Encourage it.
> Celebrate it. Don't be afraid of it.

My seventh point was going to be about the future of the fan-based creative community. I never wrote it because I'm a lazy fucker who can't finish anything. (That and that it was somewhat nuanced at times, and not the easiest thing to write.)

Actually, I'm not sure I can bring myself to try and do it now.

Just one note, then.