Re: Dara Happan Beards

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_7Ee-2U5Q2RoiZI_VD65rT_vHDS-MS6nzGY4NbOlZ-hoadEycWtDq2FJt3C1z>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 17:22:07 +0100 (BST)

I thought Irripi Ontor cultists had moustaches rather than beards (though they are probably quite flamboyant, wax-assisted moustaches).
I also thought they also showed their difference from Lhankor Mhy cultists by wearing brown robes rather than grey ones.

Richard Hayes

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_Y1kQufwT_G2GWk-fefUID2yvlDKdM1ajp9iyAbg9Ya_IUc51Rdbom6cmGp107FXKb0VcwLLUCAc.yahoo.invalid> To: ImmoderateGloranthaQuest_at_yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, 8 June 2011, 14:48
Subject: Re: Dara Happan Beards

And do Irrippi Ontor cultists ware removable beardless chins? The day my players ask me that is that day I stop drinking.

-KevinMcD (Who has forgotten more about Glorantha than Peter knows - and it proves it daily.)

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 5:53 AM, newtiswrong <mrnewt_at_2OnlQazM0QtzqEj4G0lqJQLN3jDbD_-HX_-PPxzv7oYUVfwzODtvUGJ-7Ao2Eksvii5J_6lA5t6TUwE.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> One thing that really upsets me about the current state of Glorantha, is
> the depiction of Beards in Dara Happa.
>
> It has no basis in fact and overall the length of them just rubbs my goat.
> Certain things worry me, and make me feel inadequate about portraying Dara
> Happan beards in my games. For example are there jewellers who sell beard
> rings? As for the possible existance of magical rune beard rings, well you
> can see my dilema. I might be able to gloss over it in a convention game,
> where I'm never going to see the players again and embarrassment is not an
> issue, but not in my ongoing home campaign where my sharp and perceptive
> players would pull me up about it.
>
> What about Dara Happan women and beards? Do they have them? If they do they
> shave them. Do we make assumptions based upon real world cultures? If this
> is the case are the published sources based upon the experiences of the
> authors here? I am not implying here that the women of the author's
> aqquanitance are bearded, just that being western white males to a man it is
> probably culturally true that should a woman of that culture see but a
> whisker of hair and out comes the razor. While somepeople may feel that this
> touches on uncomfatable gender issues, I feel that we must be brave and seek
> the answers and not just 'fudge it' like we did with the "Do Dwarf women
> have beards" issue (answer no, because in Glorantha there are no Dwarf women
> : ref: Dwarfs - Guide to the Mostali, Mongoose Publishing 1969 Prof Lawrence
> Witaker).
>
> I thought this would be the most appropriate list to post on, because the
> World of Glorantha list is full of people who don't like me and make me feel
> inaddequate. You lot seem nice and friendly (and are much clever to boot) :)
>
> Love and Lollipops
>
> :P NEWT

You Are All Idiots. Signed, De Immod.

Yahoo! Groups Links