Re: WoG vs Moon Design's forums

From: Stewart <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 23:42:08 -0000

> > > Moon Design has been relatively ruthless in its centralised approach to Gloranthan publishing in recent years.
>
> FFS what a load of shit. (not David, I think ?)

That was me. Which, if you attempted to follow the conversation properly, you'd understand. Particularly seeing as you've had a month or more to read the thing, dickhead.

You really are a gormless cunt. And no, I'm not being flippant. This isn't a faux-immoderate conversational gambit; I think you're a fatuous twat. The fannying about and multiple punctuation doesn't help, of course, but that's just the start.

And as to the point? Why didn't Moon Design publish Jamie's multiple Western manuscripts? What happened to Shannon's Aldryami manuscript? And where did Martin Hawley's various Sea-based supplements go to?

You've no idea, have you?

The early Hero Wars boom utilised a host of fan-authors, in a publication strategy that mixed direction and a broad, overall plan together with the input and desires of said authors.

After a while, this started to creak. Greg went AWOL. Communication diminished. Issaries had its internal issues. Projects imploded. People fell out. ILH2 had come out--just--as the last effort of a creative team that had had enough and dissipated. Champions of the Reaching Moon? That was Mark's baby and he made sure it got pushed out of the door before he moved on.

By the end of the HeroQuest era, the model had become entirely author-led. The Sartar Rising series had foundered. A problem was that the most prolific authors were working on projects that, if dearly sought by some, presented a conundrum.

Martin H has how many Sea supplements planned... three? Maybe four? Jamie had three books' worth of Western material? Nobody else was writing anything. Should we have renamed HeroQuest WestQuest? Or SeaQuest?

Then what happens? Jeff comes on board as practically the sole author (and a paid one, at that) and co-publisher. Existing projects--which some of us put a fair amount of effort into--are mothballed. The focus is switched to larger, less frequently published supplements to secure greater financial viability. The intial focus returns to the popular Sartarite and Pavic heartlands of Dragon Pass, Nomad Gods and RuneQuest. Furthermore, they encompass broad, campaign-style packs rather than the overly specific cultural supplements Hero Wars/HeroQuest 1 favoured.

Am I against this? No. I think Moon Design did the right thing, overall. I feel bad for Jamie that his Western stuff was not published in an official capacity and have said this on several occasions.

Seriously, Julian. Run the list if you must; but at least do us a favour and don't post here, you spastic prick.