Re: Ideas around the death of Kallyr, in game?

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 09:18:43 -0000

> If it was in existence before the Questers will have run it, then describing it,

It's an experimental heroquest. The questers combine know stages of existing heroquests to do something new. So my answer was precise. I'm sure you can guess which quests might be involved - let's think about the one that tells how Orlanth's Ring enters the sky in the first place. Maybe we could hold a competition ;-)

>OTOH, if the entire Gathering Storm series is just the authors proving that they can create more heroquests then retcon them into
Glorantha

I wasn't aware that all heroquest in existence had already been defined and we had to retcon them. I would be grateful if you could provide the source for them, as it would be very helpful to have that list as a writer. Please do share this sacred text. But no, we don't need to create new ones for this.

> Poor Harmast, limited to the now-revealed-as-trivial Full Lightbringer's Quest.

Wow, I didn't realize anyone had published a scenario based on the full Lightbringers quest. There do appear to be a lot of gaps in my library today. OK after the scenario where you get to do the Lightbringers Quest published in series and loving full detail in Mystery Glorantha #37-#40, it's the most complicated Gloranthan heroquest in print.

> Oh, and Ian never does describe the 11 Lights quest at the level of a handwave.  Apparently it brings back some of Orlanth's Ring (before the entire Ring disappears again before the Lunar quest spoiled by the DragonRise).

No, it allows for the questers to bring back some of the ring and for it to remain. But guess what, they might fail, so it might not happen. Maybe it comes back,maybe it doesn't. And if it does come back, in your Glorantha then a world changing event has occurred. But if it doesn't it didn't

OMG, uncertainty in a game. Allowing players to define the future shape of Glorantha in their game. it's almost as though the Hero Wars could change the setting. This will never do, Glorantha must be fixed for ever in the minds of its archivists and keepers, not subject to the whims of fun at a gaming table. Future history must be known in all detail. ALERT! ALERT! THERE CAN BE NO DEVIATION FROM THE TRUE PATH!! ALL VIOLATIONS MUST BE ELIMINATED!! RESIST CREATIVITY AND INNOVATION. RESIST, WE MUST RESIST FOR WE ARE THE KEEPERS OF GLORANTHAN LORE...

Fun at the gaming table! I want fun at the gaming table! FFS, where will the madness ever end.