Re: Heroquest help

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 18:40:52 -0000

To:             	KingOfDragonPass_at_onelist.com
Date sent:      	Fri, 14 Jan 2000 10:32:06 -0800 (PST)
Send reply to:  	KingOfDragonPass_at_onelist.com
Subject:        	Heroquest help

> From: Nathaniel Kwok <kwokna_at_...>

> Well anyway, I'm writing cause I have a problem with
> one of the heroquests. 've forgotten the exact name, but it's the
> cow quest, the one where cows get slaughtered for the
> first time.

The Uralda quest.

  Before embarking on the quest, I usually
> put magic into questing, have a trickster in the ring,
> and ask for followers.

I've just done it, and yes, I did all these things.

Tell you what: here's my saga entry for the quest.

Enent began the Uralda�s Blessing heroquest. Enent went back to an ancient time, a time before Umath, before Yelm, and long before Orlanth, a time where everything was good for her four-legged people. But things were bad for the two-legged people, who were hungry, and asked Enent�s bulls for help.

She found a high place in order to watch the two-legs as they left. The bulls chased the two-legs away, and the two-legs yelled and shrieked most piteously.

The biting things came, and Enent could not protect her children from them. So she embarked on a journey to the home of the two-legs.

First, she was attacked by large biting things. Enent withstood the first attack of the biting things, but was wounded.

Second, she was attacked by biting things with sharp teeth that cut flesh. Enent withstood the second attack of the biting things, but suffered further, grievous injuries.

Third, she was attacked by biting things that lie in the water. Enent withstood the third attack of the biting things, but again her flesh was torn.

Although it took every last bit of her strength, Enent made it to the tula of the two-legged people. Enent was glad she had watched for their trail when they were chased away by the bulls.

Enent attempted to enter the two-leg camp, but the two-legged bulls tried to capture her and pen her up.

She made the secret sign to Ernalda. (From the cave, IIRC)

Ernalda noticed the sign, and from the greeting Ernalda gave her, Uralda recognized Ernalda as her mother. Then she knew that her plan was right. �Life is almost good,� Ernalda said. �But my children have found this new thing called hunger, and I do not know what to do�� Enent said she had a plan. Enent headed back to her people, this time with some of Ernalda�s two-legged bulls to protect her. She told her bulls to tell the herd to get ready for a journey to the land of the twolegs.  The bulls did not want to understand why.

She said to them,�The two-legs will protect us from biting things, and give us shelter.� They said they wanted protection from biting things, and were curious about this new thing called shelter. So they followed her all the way to the two-leg encampment, where they lived for some time.

The bulls saw the two-legs cutting up and eating other cows, and were afraid. Enent said to them, �A little lost blood is nothing, when there is life to be given.� The bulls accepted what Enent said, and troubled her no more. Later, the cows complained that the two-legs were taking their milk, and Uralda explained that by treating the two-leg children as their own, there would always be two-legs. And, wherever there were two-legs, there would be fat and happy cows. This comforted them. Enent returned to the land of mortals, her quest successful despite her wounds. The god-talkers said that when people became stubborn, we would be able to sway them from their foolish positions.

Hope that helps. Having a tough HQer is a good idea, of course.