Re: Heroquest help [SPOILERS]

From: Grant Gainey <ggainey_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:50:03 -0500

Nathaniel Kwok wrote:

> From: Nathaniel Kwok <kwokna_at_...>
>
> Hi there,
> First I'd like to get it out of the way, that I'm
> pretty addicted to this wonderful game. I think the
> designers did a great job and no other game I've
> played this year has had me up til 2a in the morning.
> Keep up the good work! This game really reminds me of
> those great Koei games especially Romance of the 3
> Kingdoms.
> Well anyway, I'm writing cause I have a problem with
> one of the heroquests. I know that a lot of depends
> on luck, but I've been through about 4 already, and I
> get the feel that certain answers are better than
> others. I've forgotten the exact name, but it's the
> cow quest, the one where cows get slaughtered for the
> first time.

That's the Uralda one. That one gave me complete fits. At one point, I got stubborn about it (bull-headed - maybe that's what caused my problem...), and kept restarting the game from a save every time I failed. After ~12 attempts, I gave it up, grumbling heavily.

Later, towards the end of that game, I tried again with a different ring-member. Got through it first try, even after having a "right" answer not work.

>Before embarking on the quest, I usually
> put magic into questing, have a trickster in the ring,
> and ask for followers.

Yup. Three points in Quest helps a lot, I think.

> The first times I did it, I
> never survived the three biting attacks.

Yup. Had that happen several times. Whether one survives or not appears to be based on exactly _which_ Biters get you - and that appears to be random.

Note that I think this is one of the myths with "deeper mysteries". Make sure you know ALL of a myth before attempting to Heroquest it!

> Then I
> started to sacrifice cows for strength. But then when
> I come back to the bulls, they tell me I didn't suffer
> enough. The answers I pick are, sacrifice for more
> strength, suffer attacks (3x), choose secret sign from
> stream. Then when I come back, I try all the options
> and fail. Anyone ever solve this quest? I've done 4
> HQs already, and this is the first time where I can't
> solve it with brute power.

SPOILERS BELOW OK, that should space it far enough down. The time I've succeeded at this quest, I chose:

  -Watch the humans
  -Suffer attacks
  -Give the sign, from a cave ("deep w/in the earth")
   Ernalda didn't recognize me - I eventually succeeded    with "beg for mercy," but I don't think that's "right"   -Choose "a little blood is necessary", or something like    that

Read the myth, study the myth, _be_ the myth.

Good luck,
Grant

Grant Gainey HiddenMind Technology http://www.hiddenmind.com   "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.    In practice, there is no relationship between theory and practice."