Re: "exchange rate" for food

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 08:49:54 -0500

Martin Crim wrote:

> From: Martin Crim <MCrim_at_...>
>
> I have been giving gifts of food, which seem to be well received. I'm
> giving about 20 at a shot, since I don't want to appear stingy. Is this
> roughly equivalent to 20 cows in terms of what it'll feed? I realize that,
> when trading, every trade is different and 1 food may equal more or less
> than 1 cow, but I'm trying to get a better handle on what kind of gifts I'm
> giving.
> Also, what happens if you give cows to the Ducks, who apparently don't
> herd? Do they just slaughter and eat them, or start a herd? I'm afraid to
> find to find out.
>
> --Martin

1 Horse = 4 Goods = 4 Cows = 8 food.

You cheapskate! As far as I can tell, you should send about 20 or so for a good gift. Less if you're very buff in Diplomacy (silvertongue is a must!) but more will increase the chance they will regard it as a favor paid or better yet, upgrade more than one level of attitude.

I think they trade the cows for modern weaponry. The little blighters are TOUGH. But goods works better. They don't really need horses or cows or food for that matter, having an almost perpetual surplus (that gets shipped to the Marsh Ducks, I presume -- The (blabblah) Ducks seem to be an agricultural colony of their bigger, meaner brethern.

Jeff Kyer