RE: Couple of problems (bugs or my stupidy?)

From: Nils Brobakk <nils_at_...>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 16:20:40 -0000

Indeed. I started out spending lots of points and sacrifices on children, hoping to eventually get lots of good leaders. Didn't take long before I had 1.5 times as many children as farmers, and they were eating me from my stead... Things stabilized a bit eventually, but like I said, I never got the swarm of nobles I was hoping for. :)

> > > Don't forget to sacrifice to a deity during the course of the
> > > year too... Just to influence who the new noble might choose.
> >
> > Ah... Especially if you're desperate for a new Eurmal
> worshipper? ;)
>
> Yeah, I've actually had my Trickster get an apprentice that way... or at
> least, I got one right soon after he died (she may have been there for a
while)

My trickster died, I rearranged the ring, and had one of my advisors go 'We should put Such-and-Such on the ring as a trickster' - a new one appeared the same month I reorganized to replace the old one! I've also had a steady flow of Lankhor Mhy followers - started out with one, by the time he died there was a new one to replace him, and now I've got a young who can take his place... Don't know if this is down to Heroism, or just incredibly good luck. :)

>> What exactly do the heroquests that will 'strengthen your clan leaders'
(or
>> similar) do? Do they improve the abilities of your leaders? If so, is
this
>> an immediate effect, or does it apply over time?
>
> Somewhat, yes. They may just get a bonus on doing things for few
> years.

I think the manual states that the specific benefit you choose is usually permanent (while the generic one lasts 3 years)?

> I know that when I do the Elmal quest for that, things seem to
> go much more smoothly for the next long while.

Oh good - I just finished the Elmal quest last night as my 7th quest, can't wait for the end game... :)

> > I hate it when a leader fails a quest and their ability
> goes down... :( Is
> > there a way to remedy this?
>
> Not that I know of. Don't fail....

And how am I supposed to do that!? Apart from restoring frequently... ;-P

While on the subject of leaders (just to drag this on a bit longer :), is there a way to stop your leaders from going missing while exploring? I have a temple to Vinga with Pathfinder, I send large escorts (5 thanes, 15-20 footmen), but still they disappear (slightly less often after I started telling them to move slowly).

The manual says your ring members have a greater chance of success as they can use the clan's magic, but I'm afraid to send them as I don't want my best people to disappear... I end up exploring with mediocre leaders (typically Good Combat, Very Good Bargaining or vice versa), I guess this only increases the chances they'll go missing... :(

NH.