Re: Politics in the tribal game

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 09:50:50 -0500

Bryan Thexton wrote:

> From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
>
> I'm in a tribe, with all but two of my neighbors being
> in my tribe. One of those neighbors, of course, is
> the ducks. The other is in a neighboring tribe, which
> generally contains more militaristic clans than our
> tribe does (although at seven clans to five total
> forces may balance out). I don't want to start a
> tribal war, but....
>
> At the same time, I'm running out of space in my tula.
> I'm down to a fringe of woodlands, barely supporting
> a dozen hunters and forcing me to slaughter pigs on a
> regular basis to keep them out of the cabbages since
> they run short of acorns (or whatever it is pigs eat
> in the forests of dragon pass). And yet, my ring is
> telling me they could use another couple of dozen
> hides of crop land, and I just barely have enough
> pasture to keep my cows and sheep healthy and well
> fed. I'd really like to sieze some territory from a
> neighbor, but....
>
> Well, you see how these two could collide. I could
> try and chase off the ducks, but to be honest they
> scare me, and besides I figure they have to be partly
> responsible for the low incidence of undead in the
> vicinity. Or, I could go after my neighbors that are
> in a different tribe. They are pretty tough, but give
> me a year of glorifying humakt and I'm sure I could
> take them two times out of three (combine with
> throwing the wrath of maran gor and eurmal at them).
> The question is, if I turn our current decent
> relationship into a feud with them (and I'm sure that
> would happen if I start stealing their tula), is this
> apt to lead into a tribal war? As I said, I really
> don't want to start a tribal war just yet.
>
> Obviously, I should have been less generous about
> splitting my tula when my tribe fissioned many years
> ago.
>
> Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?
>
> --Bryan

DEATH TO THE ENEMY TRIBE! Oh, sorry, did that slip out? Seriously, the Ducks are nasty work but you can take them down. The problem is not that they get ticked at you. The problem is that the ones in the Marsh get ticked. And THEY will often tell the BeastMen. THAT can get scary -- and lead to an unwinnable war. But they may be easier than an enemy tribe.

But usually, raiding another tribe is considered part of doing business. Its when you raid a tribe you are allied to, things go bad.

Wrath of Eurmal? I nearly spilled my coffee there. I'll have to use that line in a game. But the good thing about fighting other Orlanthi is that there are not as many 'wierd evil elder race tricks' that can be pulled out of the hat.

I'm still annoyed at Cragspider for eating my emissary (not that there's anything I can actuallly DO about it).

Jeff "Kill 'em All and let Humakt Sort Them Out" Kyer