Re: Digest Number 22

From: Bruce Hollebone <hollebon_at_...>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:05:34 -0500

> David Dunham wrote:
> >

> > Hmm, I didn't think Son of Blacktail was *that* difficult
> to get,
> > though perhaps this is a consequence of this being one of
> the first
> > parts of the game that was done.
> >

> I've never seen him/her/it, Dave. Ever. What/how do you
> get him? I've
> gotten the White Calf quite frequently.
>
> Jeff

Add me to the list. Over the course of, dunno, 20 games?, I have never seen the son of blacktail. For the longest time, I thought he was the "magical cow" Uralda could give you. Frustrating, because I could never get a Uraldan strong enough to do the quest in the six-seven years before Blacktail goes on to greener pastures. [A hint here: I've had great success sending "combat monsters" on this quest. My most successful "Uraldan" to date was a Humakti! She did the quest at least three times.]

A couple more questions:

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature: Has anyone noticed that if you do a "strengthen the quester" version of a quest with a character who is already Heroic, you often lose character abilities even though the quest is a complete success? I've noticed this happens particularly with the two Orlanth quests and the Humakt one.

Also, about Kallyr; is it her destiny to be killed in the Holy Country? I've never had her return successfully from one of her "let's go kill the hero" adventures, regardless of the size of the warband I send with her. Am I doing something wrong? The treasure that comes back is very nice, but by the time she takes off Kallyr is often my warleader...

Kind Regards,
Bruce Hollebone: hollebon (at) cyberus.ca