spoiler Re: choosing your enemies wisely.

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 09:29:28 -0500

Bryan Thexton wrote:

> From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>

Bad beans bout the Beastmen...

> ************************************
> Question:
>
> I will eventually try out all the enemies, no doubt,
> but given my limited playing time, I'm hoping someone
> can give me a bit of a spoiler about the choices.
> From what I can see, there are a lot of benefits to
> taking the son of Valind--better ability to operate
> during the Dark, plus most of the time you can beat
> the ice demons off and gain in clan magic, with the
> times you loose being comparable to the effects of a
> highly effective raid.

This is the enemy I often select -- however, failing a raid or the like in winter costs you magic. That can be a pain. And sometimes, you fail in blocking the demons -- that costs more cattle and weaponthanes than losing a raid.

> The trolls seem fairly neutral as an enemy. I'm not
> aware of any benefits from having them as your enemy,
> but their raids seem much like any other raiding
> force, and if you have solid defences and focus on
> killing them, they are quite manageable, albeit the
> frequency of their raids can be annoying. You don't
> get as much of a magic point boost from defeating
> their normal raids, but summons of evil then trouncing
> them still seems good for a small boost.

I skirmish the little blighteres to death. But killing them works fine.

> The beastfolk are a problem, in that the ducks are
> right there, but you will be crushed if you go after
> them too aggresively. There may be a way to get rid
> of them and survive to tell the tail, but obviously it
> isn't easy. On the other hand, if you ignore them,
> you risk ticking off your ancestors. It seems to me
> this is a VERY difficult enemy to handle.

Yep. And since the beastmen are pretty good at multitasking, its pretty tough to fight them.

> What about the others? Praxians you obviously can't
> avoid coming into contact with, and are a dangerous
> foe, but you should be able to avoid meeting them
> during those most vulnerable first years simply by
> exploring elsewhere. How manageable are their
> eventual raids?

Praxians can be dealt with same as trolls, though since tey are mounted, I find that skirmishing works best when dealing with them.

> What about the others? (What form does the enemity of
> the lord of the Salty Sea take anyway?) Does any of
> the others have benefits like the son of Valind has?

Frequent Floods. Sometimes too much rain (that could be me). Make good friends with Heler.

The Elves are just plain annoying. They will snipe and do the eco-guerilla thing on you. Don't know how to stop them other than doing the Issaries HQ.

> Finally, yes, I know, I'm requesting a spoiler. There
> is a good reason for that. I like to play a story I'm
> interested in, so I like to structure a tribe that
> both has a back story in my mind, and that has an
> interesting conflicts in the game, but at a level that
> I'm ready to deal with. (i.e. someday I'll come back
> to the beast people....but not until I'm wiser in the
> orlanthi way of thinking.)

Good call. I'd be interested in something like this myself.

> Thanks in advance;
>
> --Bryan

Jeff