Q's re: poets, magic, ducks

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 06:52:54 -0800 (PST)

Three questions for today:

First, regarding poets. The game manual does indicate a couple of skills important to poets, but not in a way that makes it easy to determine who your "best poet" is when the game asks you who speaks on a given supject to the clan (or in some other situations, I suppose). In my current game there is no question that our clan leader is also our best poet, so it isn't a stressful situation. In a previous game, I suspected that our best poet was our trickster, so I was *really* reluctant use poetry for anything overly diplomatic. Does anyone have a safe way of figuring out who your best poet is? And while I'm at it, are there any hints on active ways to use a good poet, other than just waiting for clan moots?

On to magic. Periodically you get a major magic bonus, from a succesful heroquest or other event (my latest: my lankhor my lawspeaker composed the epic of his life on his deathbed, and after we spread it around the clans we gained 20(!) magic points). Obviously it is useful if you will be heroquesting soon, but often that is not a good option. You can try and hold onto it, but it tends to leak away. You can launch a major raid, but having a huge superiority in magic is no guarantee of success, and I'm not even sure if it holds a major edge over a small superiority in magic. It seems to me that with 22 magic in the pool, now would be a good time to do something dramatic, but what?

Finally, has anyone managed to get their tribe to accept the ducks as members? This was one task it seems my poetry was not up to.

As always, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--Bryan

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com