RE: Where is everybody?

From: Grawe, Philipp <pgrawe_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 09:34:48 +1100

> From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
>
> There are apparently over 90 people signed up to this
> mailing list, yet only a handful account for the vast
> majority of what traffic there is.
>
> So I'm curious, what drew you to sign up for this
> mailing list? What do you hope to see from it? I've
> about run out of questions and comments for now, but I
> don't want to see the list become moribund. If you
> don't either, tell everyone what would interest you,
> and maybe someone will be able to provide some of it.
>
> (and no, I'm not the moderator, nor am I affiliated
> with the game in any way, I'm just someone who likes
> to think about the game as much as I like to play it).

Well, it's like this, you see...

I'd been waiting and waiting for the game, then bought it just after christmas, just in time for my wife to have a baby. I simply haven't had the time to dedicate to the game. I've played about 15 hours of the game, restarted a number of times and finally got an Orlanthi Clan that seems to be working. Everytime I read the list I realise how much there is to the game that I don't know and I'm kind of reluctant to spoil it for myself - as an example, I've read every Nethack spoiler under the sun, there's not much new to the game, so I don't want that to happen with KODP.

But, by way of an interesting story, I can explain how NOT to Heroquest.

In the first game I played, it was starting to go off the rails - the Farmers were grumpy, I was getting raided often, was running low on cows and my advisers seemed to spend more time implying I was incompetent than anything else. During the Sacred Time I was advised to start a quest, so off I went. The only myth I knew well enough was Orlanth and Aroka, so I sent my best man off on the quest. Without ever having particularly read the myth. I started at the rolling rock, pretty much ignored it, chatted to this and the other God and in no time found myself lost in the underworld without a paddle. About this time I realised that a) this game was rapidly turning into a throwaway game and b) perhaps next time I should do at least a little bit of preparation. I wandered lost, finally got to Ty Kora Tek and sat there contemplating the choices given. Using a complex process of deduction I made the correct choice.

My would-be Hero got out alive, but not much else.

Philipp / Harry.