Re: RQ Gurps

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:50:56 -0500

Matthew Thale wrote:

> From: Matthew Thale <mattt_at_...>
>
> >RQ from 3rd edition (bleagh), playtest on both abortive 4th editions
> >(much sadness there--lots of miscommunication among parties involved,
> >could have worked out otherwise). Co-Revisor GURPS Swashbucklers 3rd
> >edition. Currently working on fusion of RuneQuest and GURPS and hoping
> >to see if GCA can handle what I want to do.
> >
> RQ/Gurps? Sounds very interesting. I've not seen the HQ rules, and am
> not convinced that I will like them enough to convert. However, I
> don't like RQ3. RQ/Gurps might be something that I can handle both as
> a player and a referee. I'll be following this bit of information
> very closely. Bryan, if you could keep me up to date on the
> developments of RQ/Gurps (or perhaps GURPS: Glorantha?), I'd really
> appreciate it.
>
> I'm not much of a writer, but if I can contribute to the project, I'd
> be willing to help.
>
> Thanks,

I'm pretty pleased with what I've seen of Hero Wars. But more on that later. My own opinion is that it captures the 'feel' of Glorantha's magic very well -- far better than RQ did with its endless mechanics and dice rolling.

To be honest, I find GURPS to be just too vague and flavorless. But that is, I admit, a long standing personal opinion. (Hey, they DID revive Traveller, so that's something that I can forgive many, many sins for)

Jeff