Re: A proto-faq

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 10:10:35 -0500

Nils Brobakk wrote:

> From: Nils Brobakk <nils_at_...>
>
> Jeff said:
> > >
> > Its odd. I've gotten that spike in every long game I have played. It
> > is 'just' an encounter. But its one of the mid-term story
> > encounters.
>
> So what exactly does the spike do? Does it actually give you any benefits,
> or do you just get raided by trolls lots? I've always wondered about their
> motives: "We're fed up with the troll raids. Do you mind holding on to this
> for a couple of decades?" :)
>
> Has anyone tried not giving it back to them? I accidentally traded it away
> once (offered someone a treasure, and it turned out to be the only one I
> had... :(, but I think the game ended before they came back...
>
> NH.

It attracts trolls... which are good fertilizer. Oh boy, does it attract trolls!

Actually, it gives a good bonus against trolls IF you are acting against them continually. I do not know if it stops working permanently if you make a deal with them. But it does seem to make fighting them and raiding their caravans (a hobby of mine) more effective.

It does trigger a higher level of hostility and raiding. And it DID get Cragspider a bit annoyed with me. At that point, I did not wish to test her further and did an Issaries Quest to make nice with the Trolls.

The next year, the emissaries came back to collect the spike. There may have been a connetion there.