Re: Beautiful as a cow (was RE: Devore's Happy Stickpickers)

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:38:45 -0500

Martin Crim wrote:

> From: Martin Crim <MCrim_at_...>
>
> At 12:33 PM 02/17/2000 -0800, you wrote:
> >From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
> >
> >Actually, you have to worry about your tribe members
> >sometimes--the result of the Uralda heroquest to make
> >our cows more valuable: "Our cows became sleeker and
> >more appealing in appearance. Everyone said they were
> >fine cows, and for many days all we could do was look
> >at them."
>
> I'm sure that "cow-eyed" is a great compliment among the Orlanthi.
> Decorations for favored animals are likely to be similar to those which
> women wear. Ditto for men and bulls. Hair the color of cow's hide comes
> in for compliments, etc.
>
> Anyone have thoughts as to the proper way to sacrifice a cow? Do you burn
> it? ("We can burn her, bury her, or dump her." "Dump her?!" "Dump her in
> the Thames." "What?!" "Oh, did you like her?" "Yes!" "Well, we won't
> dump her then." --Monty Python, the Undertaker Sketch) I'm thinking that
> burning is out when you're fixing to rush the enemy battle line, so
> probably a quick knife to the throat?
>
> --Martin

Tradtionally, one actually used an Eater....

Almost every soceity that sacrificed cattle or the like would give certain parts to the gods -- bones and fat or special organs and then eat the rest in a feast celebrating the gods. Which is sort of a snekay way of killing two birds with one stone.

Burning as favored -- nice smell, nice smokecloud going to the sky. Oh and it doesn't fester and rot. Mmmm. I like my religion. Very beefy.

Slitting the throat aft hitting them on the head with a hammer to stun them (having cattle running away and streaming blood was a bad omen) was pretty traditional in Roman, Greek and Celtic sacrifices. Often the cattle were drugged before and to ensure that they gave an auspicous show.

Hope this isn't too pendantic.

Jeff