RE: social promotion

From: Devore, Ernest L <edevore_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:56:06 -0600

I dunno, but that's definitely an Orlanthi 'purist' view. The option to adopt vagabonds and outlaws as either thanes or farmers is there. You can free thralls to become farmers. You can promote farmers to thanes. Thanes distinguish themselves and become nobles. It seems like a pretty open society to me within the framework of the game.

Even as far as events I've accepted people as thanes who were outlawed by another clan, or even if they are escaping from the Pharaoh. I can imagine their reaction when I show them to the ancestral totem pole and announce that here is where they'll be worshipping. Orlanthi society, as represented in KODP, is about as free and easy as it gets. Some clans hold RIGIDLY to the ancient ways, as outlined in your message. Other clans are pretty flexible about the rules. Some are war clans, and some are peace clans. Some just get on by trading, and others... well... they never evolve beyond stickpickers.

Mercenary troops would be pretty nice... wish I had the option to pay another clan to raid for me. :)