Re: social promotion

From: Douglas Seay <dms_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 12:10:27 -0500

"Devore, Ernest L" wrote:

> From: "Devore, Ernest L" <edevore_at_...>
>
> I dunno, but that's definitely an Orlanthi 'purist' view. The option to
> adopt vagabonds and outlaws as either thanes or farmers is there. You can
> free thralls to become farmers. You can promote farmers to thanes. Thanes
> distinguish themselves and become nobles. It seems like a pretty open
> society to me within the framework of the game.

True in that the most sacred Orlanthi tradition is "it depends". I've always assumed that adopting a vagabond ment a little cermony to the ancestors. In directly I've assumed that they didn't move onto important roles (ones with weapons or cows) until a few years have gone by. Strangers can prove themselves to be useful to the clan (Heler and Elmal come to mind), but it is over time and isn't at sword point.

> Even as far as events I've accepted people as thanes who were outlawed by
> another clan, or even if they are escaping from the Pharaoh. I can imagine
> their reaction when I show them to the ancestral totem pole and announce
> that here is where they'll be worshipping.

Why not? They can always turn you down and head on elsewhere. If they want to stay with your clan, they have to follow your rules. There are no ACLU lawyers to get them accepted into your clan without following your customs.

> Orlanthi society, as represented
> in KODP, is about as free and easy as it gets. Some clans hold RIGIDLY to
> the ancient ways, as outlined in your message. Other clans are pretty
> flexible about the rules. Some are war clans, and some are peace clans. Some
> just get on by trading, and others... well... they never evolve beyond
> stickpickers.

Hey, who are you calling a stickpicker? My weapon thanes are looking for a fight, and I don't have any feuds right now....

I agree that the Orlanthi vary a lot (storm "all" means 85%), but some things are set in stone. Eh, set in Aer? What you are talking about is a clan that doesn't have a strong sense of "ancestor". That seems to go against most every thing I've learned about the Orlanthi, but I guess that is OK too. IIRC there is a clan in the 1600s that worships Argan Argar instead of Issaries, so why not be slack on strictly ancestors too?

But it still isn't "right".

> Mercenary troops would be pretty nice... wish I had the option to pay
> another clan to raid for me. :)

Ain't that the truth. That's up there with me wanting to get paid when folks cross my tula to raid someone else. This economy thing should be two way.