Re: Another Way to Lose the Game

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 08:38:35 -0500

Martin Crim wrote:

> From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_...>
>
> Folk:
> Skip this message if you want to find out the hard way yourself.
>
> I have the Iron Spike and am a troll-hating clan. My clan moods are
> contented/ unshakeable/ unshakeable, and I have a magic item which is
> supposed to keep the farmers' mood from declining. Cragspider sends 3
> trollkin to tell me to stop ann-- ann-- bothering her. I send her tribute,
> as recommended by 2 ringleaders. The only warning I get is from my
> chief/king, who says that people will be unhappy if we don't make a show of
> strength. I lose 2 or 3 points of magic, and breathe a sigh of
> relief--that wasn't nearly as bad as the time I sacrificed the trollkin to
> my ancestors.
>
> Then I notice: the carls' mood immediately dropped to despairing (the
> lowest level). 100 goods in gifts makes nary a dent. I have no Ernaldan
> competent enough to do the E. Feeds the Tribe heroquest. (I know; I
> tried.) At first, I thought it was a bug, but when I redid it I found this
> was a feature. It still makes little sense to me: why a drop from the
> highest to the lowest morale level, and why were just the carls affected?
> From the warning, I would have thought that overall mood might have dropped
> a couple levels, but I could have continued after that.
>
> The game was, technically, still playable from this point. If you could
> put up with the illogical and extreme results. Dealing with consequences
> is one of the themes of the game, but I didn't realize that dealing with
> unpredicted and unpredictable consequences of devestating proportions was a
> subtheme.
>
> --Martin

Clan Moods drop and swing with frightening reguarlity, just like politics in Real Life. And often they will recover in short order. And Chalana Arroy can help with moods as well, if you will recall.

But paying tribute to non-humans is definitely a no-no. I just declared War on Craigspider. It should be interesting to see how it works out.

Jeff