aids to heroquesting (was Re: Digest Number 72)

From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 09:42:29 -0500

At 09:16 AM 03/31/2000 -0500, David Short wrote:
>What can I do to improve my
>chances at a heroquest? I hate to have a single
>decent(very good or above) warrior and have to
>try the Elmal or Humakt quests.

I find (and it may be one of those apparent effects, not a real one, as I haven't done a controlled study) that sacrificing to the deity is a good idea beforehand. Also, building a temple helps. Some people have suggested deity-appropriate actions but I can't say that I agree these things make any difference. Kallyr does everything well, so if you have her, send her.

>One of the things the games does do very well
>is simulate some of the problems of a council
>leading a group of people. You just can't do
>everything you want to do.

I agree. It'd be a useful tool for a government class.

>On another note what are the triggers for the
>Feathered Horse Queen?

I'd like to know this, too. David D. has suggested that you just have to wait.

On another note, I sent my geezer king (age 82 at that point but my best warrior) to rescue some clan members held by the Horse Spawn. The mission failed and he got captured! I appointed a new clan chief and sent a second rescue mission. In the interim, one of the ringleaders commented, "The people wonder why we don't honor our tribal king by giving him a place on the ring." (!) The two seasons he spent as a thrall of the Horse Spawn had no effect on his kingship, apparently. He's now safely back as my chief. The guy who was his stand-in, who's Heroic himself now in Leadership, is no doubt feeling a lot like Prince Charles. Same age as Chuck and everything.

Then I sent geezer (whose real name is Rangor) to fight Aroka, which bumped Rangor's Combat skill back up to Heroic. He's going to live to be 100. I just hope the FHQ shows up so he can woo her. Imagine George Burns and Jennifer Lopez.

--Martin