Re: quests; dragonewt poet; ransom

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 08:52:02 -0700

Bryan Thexton wrote

>One of the options in the Orlanth and Aroka quest is
>to "strengthen our warriors." I chose that, expecting
>to receive an unseen bonus for my weaponthanes. What
>I received was a boost to the combat skill of a number
>of my leaders. Now, I'm not the least bit upset about
>that, as this was badly needed, but it leads me to
>question my assumption that "warior" = weaponthane.
>So I wonder exactly how the general benefit of the
>humakt quest ("Five of your warriors fight as well as
>six of your enemy") is applied? Does it apply just to
>weaponthanes, as I assumed, or to weaponthanes +
>nobles, or to any of your people who are in a fight?

Hmm, this is indeed a bit confusing. The Orlanth and Aroka quest enhances your leaders who can fight. The Humakt the Champion benefit applies to both weaponthanes and footmen.

>The dragon newts just came and "requested" that one of
>my ring members come and compose some poetry for them.

>One, can anyone come up with an
>explanation of why my leaders and ancestral spirits
>were willing to deal with the dragon newts (and I mean
>a gloranthan explanation, not "must be a software
>glitch"). Two, has anyone had a leader come back from
>this event?

I didn't write this scene, but especially judging from what happens when your poet returns, I think everyone considers this a personal transaction, which doesn't involve the clan.

Hannu wrote

>One thing that really bugs me in KoDP is that computer clans seem to
>have infinite number of goods! I've realized that by raiding them and
>by taking captives, then ransomning them. I can easily get something
>like 200 goods two times a row, so do they really normally have
>somthing like 500 goods?!
>
>I know that computer clans don't play with same "rules" as human
>player, but things like that ruins the fun of the game.

Computer clans don't have exactly the same rules, but they do run the same economic model.

The goods may be private to the kinsmen of the warriors being ransomed, or they may be conducting some emergency trading to raise them (for convenience, the ransoming happens immediately during play, it may actually take several weeks -- each turn is up to 4 weeks as well).

David Dunham     A Sharp     david_at_...
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com
Efficiency is intelligent laziness.