Spoiler Re: Standard Tactics

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:56:08 -0400

Richard Franey wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm having trouble with the game, mainly because I don't have enougth time
> to devote to learning the ins-and-outs of the whole thing. What would be
> helpful is a rough list of what to do each year, as I often get focused on
> cracking one problem eg. defence, before realising that I have ignored
> another aspect of the clan - such as not exploring for three years.
>
> I know when to do stuff eg. raid in Fire/Storm season, but when do you do
> things that are less obvious?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rick Franey

Things to do in Dragon Pass Before You're Dead...

This is my rule of thumb... Or at least, thumbs.

Sea:

Send out a diplomatic mission to make sure folks like you. Use food if you can spare it, goods otherwise. 20 goods (40 food) is a good minimum. More is better. trying to get rid of a feud is a Good Idea. The sooner, the better. A blood feud can deplete your resources like nothing else.

Check out your Tula once a year (Storm?)... and send out one small expedition (15 people or so) to explore elsewhere (Knowing Pathfinder and sacrificing for Hunting Magic helpes here) in Sea Season. Its safest to explore then. This will keep bandits down.

Fire:
Military. Get in one Cattle Raid if you can. Or have a good raid. IF you've got less than, say 16 Weaponthanes at any time

Earth

Diplomacy, Trade. Maybe explore or build fortifications. I'd send out a trade delegation to either get things we are short on (horses are often in short supply if the Horsespawn take them all) or set up a trade route... More trade routes = Good.

Exploring your Tula for cool stuff and getting more trade routes means you will have to adjust your Crafters. And the sooner the better -- I prefer to wait till I have a few thing to change in that screen though. Just to save a move. Crafters are essential to long term survival.

You may want to adjust your ring or at least check on the current crop of candidates. If you don't hit 'reorganize' then it doesn't cost you one of your all too few moves.

Dark
Magical Research. A mix of War and Crop magics help. You will have to work out what suits you best. I'm a big fan of Sureshot and Thunderstone as they combine well to make brutal, brutal Skirimishers.

Storm
If you've got Valind as your enemy, you can raid freely & travel in this season. If not, send out diplomats or stay at home and adjust your populations and build fortifications. Make sure that the peson you send out is not on the ring as they might not be home in time for sacred time.

Sacred time -- well, that's up to you.

I am a big fan of Crop magic and healing is always a good *preventative*. Herd Magic is essential. Lots of decisiosn here, I'm afraid.

Jeff Kyer