cattle raids

From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 11:46:17 -0400

At 08:25 AM 04/26/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>> >I think, but that is just my opinion.
>> Cattle Raids certainly have a higher pay-off. I
>> don't see
>> the risk.
>The risk is that you get caught, and your half dozen
>or so weaponthanes and same number of carls end up
>facing a dozen weaponthanes and thirty carls, and end
>up getting turned into salami. Also note that cattle
>raids do hurt the other clans attitude towards
>you--not as badly as a full raid, but it is still a
>cost you have to keep in mind.

I generally send 1 footman and 11-14 weaponthanes on cattle raids. I have Thunderstone up, and Sureshot if I have it. If I get caught, I choose Plunder/Skirmish and usually end up OK.

Note that if you cattle raid an ally and they catch you and you fight, it terminates the alliance. I had this happen in one game where everyone close enough to cattle raid was an ally or paying me tribute (I know, I know, it's tragic--in lieu of flowers, you can send donations to the Chalana Arroy temple of your choice).

--M