Questing and Combat skill

From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:07:22 -0400

Folks:

        I am trying to run a game where I do absolutely no going back to old files. I find that my success rate at heroquests is about 50%. Here's what I'm doing:

-wait three years between quests
-maximum points in heroquesting in ST (usually 1, as I haven't had a
trickster in years and only just joined a tribe)

-for Storm Tribe, sacrifice to the Knowing Wind
-sent my guy with the Dragonewt Armor on the deity-appropriate quest.
-send the default leader for other quests

        My trick with recruiting vagabonds and wanderers has failed to yield a trickster in, like, six tries. So I'm resigned to questing without one.

        As a result of my Elmali dying in the Elmal quest, I have no leaders with Excellent magic. This seems to me to make it well nigh impossible to fight for a while, as I don't have a reasonable chance of success (certainly lower than my overall 50%) in any of the quests that improve Combat skill. Should I:

-reorganize as a peace clan, since I won't be able to raid anyhow.
-try to run Elmal or O&A anyway to raise my leaders' Combat skills,
running the risk that they'll go DOWN if I fail (this game kicks you when you're down--on the theory, I suppose, that that's the best time to kick someone)

-wait for a leader to show up with half-decent Combat skill (I haven't had
the Kallyr event yet, so it may be a while)

-start a new game.

Can I have a show of hands?

--Martin