Re: Questing and Combat skill; dragon eggs

From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:46:54 -0400

At 07:05 AM 04/27/2000 -0700, Bryan Thexton wrote:
>-Look at my available nobles with very good combat.
>How many, what cults? Any Orlanthi/Vingans?

2 Orlanthi, no Vingans. 1 all-around good Orlanthi, getting long in the tooth, a good one to send on HQ's.

>How
>about Humakti (remember that the Humakt quest can
>improve the quester's combat skill).

Funny you should ask. I had a Humakti once. A perfectly good Humakti. Put her on the ring when my previous warleader went to defend Elmal's stead in the sky. She died in the very first raid we defended against, by "fighting bravely." Lasted less than 2 seasons. Ol' what's-her-name.

>How is their
>magic, their bargaining, and their leadership? I
>would guess that the humakt quest takes leadership and
>magic as well as combat, O&A uses bargaining for the
>seduction I believe, and Elmal I'm not sure about, but
>at a guess it tests magic and leadership.

The Elmali I have as warleader (hah!) is a whippernsnapper with next to no skills other than VG Combat. The 1 OK Orlanthi could go on a HQ, but he either wouldn't be on my ring (penalty) or we wouldn't have 7 different cults represented (penalty). Which penalty is worse--does anyone have a feeling?

>-Quest just to improve the questers combat, that way
>the consequences of failure aren't as severe (you lose
>one persons skill, not many).

Ah, the 6 year plan. 6 years of peace.

>Of course, you could always sit back and wait for
>raids in which one of your leaders gets to act heroic,
>and hope that they survive long enough to get
>better.....

I do have the Raven Banner, so I know I can win combats if I have to. But the only raids I've won this game, even with Excellent warleaders, have been using the RB or with the Seeing Wind.

Got my mojo working. But working well? That's another thing entirely...

On another subject, when the earthshaker comes and knocks down steads, do you have to feed her hay to get her eggs? Do you have to search immediately after the event? Or what?

--Martin
Martin Crim
MCrim_at_...
Smith and Davenport