Re: No, You Misunderstood! (Was: Re: This is wierd...)

From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 08:38:54 -0400

At 02:36 PM 04/28/2000 +0300, Kaj Sotala wrote:
>>>Is this a bug or what?
>>No, they're not al dead and buried, just moved on. Search the map on
>>the Trade or Emissary screens, you may find them again.
>
>No, I know that they have just moved, but what I meant was, why do
>they first beg for mercy and then decleare a feud on us?

Offering tribute isn't really begging for mercy, it's a deal where they give you cows and you forbear from killing them and taking their cows. After you agree and you're locked into your oaths, they're free to declare a feud safely, and they can curse you, hire mercenaries against you, send ghosts against you, etc., etc. If you retaliate by raiding, you lose 4 to 6 magic. So it makes perfect sense for them to declare the feud *after* you agree to accept tribute.