Re: Digest Number 100

From: David Short <David.short_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 11:28:54 -0400

>Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:07:22 -0400
> From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_...>
>Subject: Questing and Combat skill
>
>Folks:
> I am trying to run a game where I do absolutely no going back to old
>files. I find that my success rate at heroquests is about 50%. Here's
>what I'm doing:

That sounds about right. My success rate is lower than that, about 30%, but I heroquest more often, about every other year. The downside of some of the failed heroquests can really harm you. If you have a surplus of goods send trading expeditions to locate and buy treasures that aid in heroquesting.

> As a result of my Elmali dying in the Elmal quest, I have no leaders with
>Excellent magic. This seems to me to make it well nigh impossible to fight
>for a while, as I don't have a reasonable chance of success (certainly
>lower than my overall 50%) in any of the quests that improve Combat skill.
>Should I:
> -reorganize as a peace clan, since I won't be able to raid anyhow.
> -try to run Elmal or O&A anyway to raise my leaders' Combat skills,
>running the risk that they'll go DOWN if I fail (this game kicks you when
>you're down--on the theory, I suppose, that that's the best time to kick
>someone)
> -wait for a leader to show up with half-decent Combat skill (I haven't had
>the Kallyr event yet, so it may be a while)
> -start a new game.
>
>Can I have a show of hands?

Definitely don't start a new game. Reorganize or Wait get my vote. The risk of a failed heroquest combined with inappropriate leaders sounds like an invitation
to disaster.

You might consider accelerating the demise of unneeded leaders to recycle the nobles in your clan.

If you have a good leader for The Knowing God's "boosting" quest do it.

>Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 07:44:07 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
>Subject: Re: Long Game timing

>Now here is a suggestion for A-sharp for any similar
>games they do in the future.....I'd really, really
>like to see lines of inheritance in my leaders
>sometimes. It would give me great satisfaction, when
>dear old so-and-so who gave great service to the clan
>for forty years finally passes away, to put his child
>or grandchild on the ring in his or her place. It
>would also be a little cool just to see the
>relationships. I know, this would be one more
>complicated thing for the game to track without a lot
>of play benefit, but it would be cool....
That would be nice.

>Message: 9
> Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:46:54 -0400
> From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_...>
>Subject: Re: Questing and Combat skill; dragon eggs
>
>At 07:05 AM 04/27/2000 -0700, Bryan Thexton wrote:
>>-Look at my available nobles with very good combat.
>>How many, what cults? Any Orlanthi/Vingans?
>
>2 Orlanthi, no Vingans. 1 all-around good Orlanthi, getting long in the
>tooth, a good one to send on HQ's.
>
>>How
>>about Humakti (remember that the Humakt quest can
>>improve the quester's combat skill).
>
>Funny you should ask. I had a Humakti once. A perfectly good Humakti.
>Put her on the ring when my previous warleader went to defend Elmal's stead
>in the sky. She died in the very first raid we defended against, by
>"fighting bravely." Lasted less than 2 seasons. Ol' what's-her-name.
I once had a Humakti male as my war leader from the age of 19 to 72. He took the riskiest path in every chance in every battle he was in. He died warm in his bed during storm season. Go figure.
I was really, really attached to the guy. Made me appreciate what A# has done.

The following and my responses may contain spoilers that you may wish to avoid.

>--- Bruce Hollebone <hollebon_at_...> wrote:

>Someone else seconded your comment about the Lhankor
>My quest. Is the benefit you are talking about "Make
>our leaders wiser"? I don't think I've tried that
>one, since I assumed it just affected custom, and I've
>tended not to have a problem with that skill for some
>reason.

It seems to affect many leaders in many attributes. I beleive it is one of the top two strongest heroquest outcomes, because it makes other quests and events easier.

The other one is the peace-bomb.
I have never gotten more than 10 years into a hard game without the healer's peace bomb. I wonder if the long/hard/nosave game is winable without it.

>Message: 15
> Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 14:01:07 -0400
> From: "KYER, JEFFREY" <jeff.kyer_at_...>
>Subject: Re: Dig #96 / Best Quest
>> I'm not sure about the Healer's godess quest, but I *absolutely*
>> agree with you concerning the Lhankor Mhy quest. In fact, this quest
>> is even more useful that you seem to believe, as it strenghtens *all*
>> leaders (nobles), members of the ring or not (it's easy to verify,
>> checking leader's aptitudes before and after the quest). If you
>> achieve this quest twice in a row, you'll have quickly heroic-level
>> leaders in quite all aptitudes. (In fact, I think this gift is *too*
>> powerful, and unbalance the game)
>
>I do not know. It depends on the level you play at.
>
>I've used the 'strenghten all leaders' and not noticed too much change.
>But it could just be me.
>
>What sort of changes are you noticing, if you could give some examples,
>I'd be very happy to see them.

Lots of pre tribal heroic leaders.

>Message: 20
> Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:20:47 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
>Subject: Re: Kallyr (was Re: Spoiler Re: Standard Tactics)
>
>I wish I could get her back more reliably.
>
>The first game where this event came up we were able
>to get her back.
>
>The last coupld of games, including this one where my
>magicians clearly saw her spirit-talker type nature,
>the jerks insisted that with the right ordeal she'd
>turn out OK, and then killed her. Worse, this game
>the felons are both in our tribe and are our second
>oldest allies. I feel so betrayed!

Anybody ever had it work out well for her?